As mentioned in the last article, many Aussie Alexa Users were frustrated when the AUS Alexa App and Software rolled out, claiming there were not enough skills or that their previous settings and smart home devices are no longer compatible. Well, FEAR NO MORE!
After speaking to a member of the Alexa team last week, I was given this VERY simple how-to guide. By following the steps below, you can successfully make your Amazon Echo Device compatible with your favourite brands and back to the USA software and app. With the added bonus of it recognising you are in Australia and not having to jump through a million hoops just to get the app on your phone.
This guide will work for all Australian marketplace compatible Alexa devices (such as any Alexa device sold on Amazon.com.au). Australian Skills and the Australian English language setting are NOT SUPPORTED on:
- Amazon Echo (1st Generation – bought before 2017)
- Echo Dot (1st Generation- bought before 2017)
- Echo Show
- Echo Spot
- Amazon Tap
IMPORTANT!!! *If you migrate an Alexa device to Australian from another country, you won't have access to digital content purchased from unsupported services, such as Amazon Music*
This guide will work whether or not your device is already active and registered, brand new, bought in Australia with Australian software, or bought previously from the American (or other countries) marketplace unactivated or activated. if you had previously had a working American Amazon Alexa device and it lost all your setting and smart home features when the Australian software rolled out, this can get back your old account and settings and will let you pick u with your home automation and Alexa skills where you left them.
FOR PREVIOUSLY ACTIVATED DEVICES
To Complete the next steps you MUST have an Australian Amazon Account AND American Amazon account. The Echo device you wish to change should be already on your Australian account. ( this also works to move other countries Alexa to Australia, just in reverse)
- Log into the Amazon marketplace your device is registered to and hover over my account menu, in the drop-down select 'Manage Your Content and Devices' link
- Go to the My Devices tab in the Manage Your Content and Devices, and find the device you wish to change and choose to deregister your device.
- then you just simply register the device again using the Alexa app, logging out of the olde account and back into the desired countries marketplace account, and then select your country's default language.
FOR NEW DEVICES
Now, this is REALLY easy part…. just change your country settings to your local Amazon website to get access to content and features on your Echo device.
You can change your country settings by visiting Manage Your Content and Devices and following these steps: To migrate your account to Amazon.com (or any other desired country including back to australia when the skils are availble), please follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon.com.au (http://www.amazon.com.au/mycd)
- Select the Settings tab.
- Under the Country Settings heading you will see text stating
“You are currently linked to shopping on Amazon.com.au. Click here to learn more about other Amazon sites you are eligible to shop on based on your country of residence."
- Select the link to see the available options.
- Click the “Learn about transferring your Kindle account to Amazon.com" link.
- If you're happy to return to Amazon.com, select the “Transfer your Kindle account to Amazon.com" button and follow the on-screen instructions.
You can migrate back to Amazon.com.au whenever you wish just repeat this process to the Australian website.
If you get stuck or are confused, or unsure of anything above, you can ask questions in the comments below, contact us via web-form, or on Facebook. Alternatively, you can contact the Amazon support team.
Enjoy getting your 'Smart Home & Automation Skills' back.